Eduardo Viana da Silva received his Ph.D. in Luso-Brazilian Literature with an emphasis in Applied Linguistics from University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). He holds an interdisciplinary degree in teaching “Certificate in College and University Teaching” from UCSB, a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) graduate certificate from Brigham Young University (BYU) and an M.A. in Luso-Brazilian literature, also from BYU.
Before coming to University of Washington in 2015, Eduardo taught language courses, Luso-Brazilian literature, and topics on Brazilian culture at UCSB, BYU, University of Utah, and the Salt Lake Community College. He also taught English as a Second Language in a private school (ILAC) in Vancouver, Canada, between 2007 and 2010. His main areas of interest are Applied Linguistics, Luso-Brazilian literature and culture, curriculum development with a focus on culture and task-based language teaching (TBLT), and Global Citizenship.
Eduardo is currently working on a textbook for Portuguese - Bate-Papo - An Introduction to Portuguese as an Open Educational Resource (OER). This book has been supported through a UW Libraries Award, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, the Language Leaning Center, and the Center for Global Studies at the UW. This e-text is available at https://uw.pressbooks.pub/batepapo/
- Salomão, A. C. B., & Viana da Silva, E. (2020). The application of the Global Competence Matrix in a virtual exchange program with US and Brazilian students. Journal of Virtual Exchange, 3 (SI-IVEC2019), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.21827/jve.3.35804
- Viana da Silva, Eduardo; Svetlana Abramova; Michele Aoki; and Bridget Yaden. “Getting to Advanced: Challenging Heritage Language Learners to Step Outside Their Comfort Zone.” The Language Educator. (vol. 8, n. 3). American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages: New York, March 2018.
- Hough-Snee, Dexter and Eduardo V. da Silva, (Editors). Estudios de sátira hispanoamericana colonial & Estudos da sátira do Brasil-Colonia. "De estranhos casos que jamais pintaram" a "despoblados extensos" Madrid/Frankfurt: Iberoamericana/Vervuert, 2015. 310 pp.
- Viana da Silva, Eduardo. Bate-Papo: An Introduction to Portuguese. Press Books UW Libraries: Seatlle, WA, 2019.
Summer 2016 A-term
- Spanish and Portuguese Faculty Receives the WAFLT "2020 Teacher of the Year Award" for Language Teaching - October 30, 2020
- Portuguese Minor Studies in São Paulo on Grant - September 30, 2019
- New Minor in Portuguese Language and Luso-Brazilian Studies - January 14, 2019
- History in the Making: Life-long Portuguese Learners at UW - April 26, 2017
- Spring 2017 Content Course Preview - February 8, 2017
- Parça - Impacting Lives through a Mentorship Program with High School Students in Brazil - February 7, 2017