Admission to the Spanish Major

The Spanish major is a minimum prerequisite major.  Students who meet the prerequisites will be admitted, provided they can complete the major requirements within the UW's academic satisfactory progress policy.  Applications to the Spanish major are accepted year-round.

To be eligible to apply, students must:

  • have completed Spanish 203

  • have at least a 2.0 overall grade point average

  • have at least a 2.7 overall GPA for all Spanish course work completed, with no individual grade below 2.5

  • have completed at least 5 credits of English Composition (see chart below) with a minimum grade of 2.5

    English Composition Courses (updated October 22, 2002)

    C LIT 240

    Writing in Comparative Literature (5, max. 15)

    ENGL 104-105*

    Introductory Composition (5- 5)

    ENGL 111

    Composition: Literature (5)

    ENGL 121

    Composition: Social Issues (5)

    ENGL 131

    Composition: Exposition (5)

    ENGL 182

    The Research Paper (5)

    ENGL 197

    Interdisciplinary Writing/Humanities [VLPA] (5, max. 15)

    ENGL 198

    Interdisciplinary Writing/Social Science [I&S] (5, max. 15)

    ENGL 199

    Interdisciplinary Writing/Natural Science [NW] (5, max. 15)

    ENGL 281

    Intermediate Expository Writing (5) [formerly 271]

    *ENGL 104-105 is a ten-credit equivalent of the 5-credit ENGL 131. They count as 10 credits toward graduation, but only as 5 credits toward the English composition or additional writing (W-course) requirement.

Students who meet all of the eligibility requirements listed above, please schedule an appointment with Humanities Academic Services for an advising meeting to complete the major declaration process.

For additional questions regarding admission to the Spanish Major, such as admission prerequisites, completed coursework in Spanish at another college or university, or adding Spanish as a second major, please contact HAS at