Anthony Geist is Professor of Spanish and Comparative Literature. He received his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1978, and taught at Princeton University, the University of Texas, San Antonio, and Dartmouth College before coming to the University of Washington in 1987.
His publications center largely on issues of modernism and postmodernism in twentieth-century peninsular poetry and include La poética de la generación del 27 y las revistas literarias: De la vanguardia al compromiso, Modernism and its Margins: Reinscribing Cultural Modernity from Spain and Latin America, Jorge Guillén: The Poetry and the Poet, and the edition of the Obra poética de Julio Vélez.
Geist's other main field of research concerns art and literature of the Spanish Civil War. He published a photoessay on Seattle-area Lincoln Brigade veterans, coauthored with the Spanish photojournalist José Moreno: Passing the Torch: The Abraham Lincoln Brigade and its Legacy of Hope / Otra cara de América: Los brigadistas y su legado de esperanza. He has also curated a traveling exhibit of children's drawings from the Spanish Civil War, which toured the country for two years. The accompanying book, They Still Draw Pictures: Children's Art in Wartime from the Spanish Civil War to Kosovo, was published in 2002.
Geist is Vice Chair of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives and has been a journeyman carpenter for 30 years.
In addition to modern Spanish literature, he also teaches Spanish cinema.
Summer 2011 A-term
- Active Faculty Present at Conferences - October 28, 2019
- Student Presents “Palabras en acción” Honors Project - June 10, 2019
- Two SPS Graduate Students Complete PhDs - May 30, 2019
- Feature: The UW León Center - February 7, 2019
- Letter From the Chair - December 16, 2014
- A Unique and Lasting Legacy - November 19, 2014
- Ph.D. Student Applauds Program - November 19, 2014
- Alfredo Arreguín | Art Exhibit at the UW León Center in Spain - July 16, 2014
- Read the Spring/Summer Edition of the SPS Newsletter! - July 1, 2014
- Spanish for Health Professionals | New Program Begins Winter 2015 - June 25, 2014
- UW Students Interviewed in León, Spain - June 9, 2014
- Letter from the Chair | Spring 2014 - June 5, 2014
- León Bensadon Memorial Scholarship Fund - May 27, 2014
- Special Funding for Students - May 27, 2014
- Eat, Live, and Study in Spain this Summer! | Study Abroad Course at the UW León Center - April 29, 2014
- Casa Sefarad comes to Seattle - April 28, 2014
- Special Funding for Students - February 21, 2014
- The Best Plan is...No Plan! | Faculty Spotlight on Ana Fernández Dobao - February 21, 2014
- UW León Center | A Unique Study Abroad Experience - November 6, 2013
- Letter from the Chair | Autumn 2013 - November 6, 2013
- UW León Center in Spanish News Diario de León - October 20, 2013
- Storytelling in León, Spain - August 13, 2013
- Letter from the Chair - Spring 2013 - May 29, 2013
- Faculty Raves - January 29, 2013
- A Night at the Theatre - January 29, 2013
- Letter from the Chair - Winter 2013 - January 29, 2013
- Study Abroad Cusco 2012 - December 5, 2012
- Letter from the Chair - Fall 2012 - December 5, 2012
- "Camp Spanglish" Unites Spanish and American Teens - September 15, 2009
- "They Still Draw Pictures" - January 15, 2004