Having completed her first book, Urbanism and Urbanity: The Spanish Bourgeois Novel and Contemporary Customs (1845-1925) (Bucknell UP) in 2013, Professor Mercer is currently at work on a new book project, titled An Incoherent Voyage: Spanish Cinema Pioneers, Between Technophilia and Technophobia. In addition to her interest in the silent film era and its relationship to technology and modernity in turn-of-the-century Spain, she has several other new and ongoing areas of research: urban studies and conduct in the Spanish novel of contemporary customs; the Gothic tradition; the serialized novel's impact on highbrow literary production; travel writing and early tourist guidebooks to Spain; culinary culture in 19th-Century Spain; and humor in contemporary Spanish film.
- "A fin de que no se propasen": Tourism and Women's Mobility in Nineteenth-Century Barcelona Guidebooks http://www.decimononica.org/mercer-14-1/
- Mercer, Leigh. Urbanism and Urbanity: The Spanish Bourgeois Novel and Contemporary Customs (1845-1925). Lewisburg, PA: Bucknell UP, 2013.
- Mercer, Leigh. An Incoherent Voyage: Spanish Cinema Pioneers, Between Technophilia and Technophobia.
- SPS Adapts to All-Online Teaching - May 7, 2020
- Active Faculty Present at Conferences - October 28, 2019
- SPS Partners with Seattle Latino Film Festival for On-Campus Film Screening - October 22, 2018
- A Hispanic Film Festival, Curated for Teens - April 24, 2018
- Senior Lecturer Inma Raneda-Cuartero Receives Distinguished Teaching Award - March 30, 2017
- Spring 2017 Content Course Preview - February 8, 2017
- Winter 2017 Content Course Preview - October 24, 2016
- Spring 2016 Content Course Preview - March 1, 2016
- Letter From the Chair - December 16, 2014
- Two New Positions Enhance SPS Division's Productivity - November 19, 2014
- Ph.D. Student Applauds Program - November 19, 2014
- Simpson Center awards Leigh Mercer Society of Scholars Fellowship - January 15, 2014
- Faculty Raves - December 5, 2012