In groups of 4, students will be in charge of organizing, moderating, and leading the discussion of a reading previously assigned by the teacher. This activity represents 5% of the final class grade. The documentation of and preparation for the topic will be evaluated, as well as the students’ capacity to propose interesting and pertinent questions that incite discussion and active class participation.
MODERATED DISCUSSION EVALUATION FORM (PDF). Your teacher will use this form to grade your work in this activity. You are responsible for printing the form and handing it in to your teacher before the beginning of the discussion.
BEFORE THE DISCUSSION
- In groups of 4, students come to an agreement with the instructor about the reading that they will present and the day on which they will present it (consulting the course calendar).
- Research on the subject: the students in charge of moderating the discussion need to do some research on the text in order to be ready to respond to any possible question from their classmates and teacher during the discussion.
- Preparing the discussion: the group of students in charge of moderating the discussion will prepare a list of 15 questions and/or activities to bring to class. These questions and/or activities will serve as a guide for the discussion, and therefore should be relevant and interesting enough to generate conversation and class participation. The students should present their questions to the teacher at least 5 DAYS BEFORE the class discussion. After revising the questions according to the teacher’s comments and suggestions, the students will distribute them to the rest of their classmates 3 DAYS BEFORE the discussion.
THE DAY OF THE DISCUSSION
- Part 1: Moderated discussion. The class will be divided into 4 groups consisting of 4-5 people, and each of the 4 students presenting will work with one of these groups. For 20-25 minutes, the presenting students will moderate a discussion of the reading within these groups. They will introduce their prepared questions and make sure that each member of the group participates. The instructor will participate as an observer only.
- Part 2: Presentation. Each one of the 4 presenting students has 3-5 minutes to present to the whole class the main conclusions reached by their particular group of 4-5 people about the questions discussed. The instructor will also propose questions in order to clarify the ideas put forth by the students.